Friday, February 11, 2011

"Don't tell me what to do!"

This week while I was doing my bible study and sermon preparation. I had a revelation that came from the scripture indirectly but was poignant none the less.

I am preaching on the story of The Good Samaritan this week and at the very beginning of the passage it hit me. Jesus almost never just answered questions. Now it doesn't really have a lot to do with my sermon Sunday but it is a note worthy thought. Jesus almost never just told people the answer. He either asked them another question or told a story.

It made me realize when you're in the business of changed lives then it is not really worth while to shout at people about how they should be or what they should do, as the Church has a habit, or at least the reputation, of doing. It is more about bringing people on a journey of self discovery, led by the Holy Spirit.

Now don't get me wrong Jesus preached. And I love to preach. But some times we get so caught up in trying to tell people the answers to their lives that we neglect the value of letting them find the answers on their own.

I have always tried to illustrate my sermons like Jesus with surroundings and parables. But this point is probably most important when wearing my counseling hat.

God, continue to shape me and make into the man you've created me to be, and teach me to apply this lesson to my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but what's really hard is the pray & wait approach! This is much more difficult to learn as a technique, and even masters find excecution difficult... ;)